Summer is the perfect time to kick back and relax with a refreshing drink. While a cold beer almost always does the trick, sometimes the craving for something a bit different, like a cocktail, can’t be ignored.
At Dorking Brewery, we love our beers so much that we’ve found a way to get the best of both worlds by creating five truly outstanding beer-based cocktails, AKA beertails!
From a microbrew mojito to a hoppy negroni, we've got you covered with our cocktail recipes that are perfect for sipping in the sun.
1. The Spritz XPA
An Aperol Spritz is synonymous with summer. The taste of the refreshing tang in the sun truly can’t be beaten… or can it? Our Spritz XPA substitutes soda water and champagne with Dorking Brewery’s light and zesty Surrey XPA, resulting in summer’s most drinkable beer cocktail.
Dorking Brewery's Surrey XPA
50ml Aperol (1 shot)
- Add a handful of chunky ice to a gin glass.
- Pour over a shot of Aperol.
- Add a squeeze of orange, then add the squeezed orange slice to the drink.
- Top with Surrey XPA.
2. The Pilcrow Shandy
Our juicy and tropical Pilcrow Pale ale is a beer that goes perfectly in a shandy. By having citrus notes already existing in the beer, it complements the sweet and tangy taste of lemon beautifully. This beer cocktail is for those that like their drinks to be both simple and delicious.
Dorking Brewery's Pilcrow Pale
1/2 pint of lemonade
A squeeze of fresh lemon
Lemon wedge to garnish
- Half-fill a pint glass with Pilcrow Pale Ale. If you like your shandy’s on the stronger side, add a splash more beer.
- Top the glass with lemonade.
- Squeeze in a bit of fresh lemon juice to taste, being mindful not to let any seeds through.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge.
- EXTRA: For a fruity twist, add in some freshly squeezed orange juice along with the lemonade for a citrusy, tropical punch.
3. The Mojitotype
The mojito is a world-renowned classic. It’s fresh, mouth-wateringly minty, and always hits the spot. But, for those that want more from their mojito, there’s the ‘mojitotype’; our take on a classic mojito where the soda water is upgraded to our light and crisp Prototype Lager - a beer inspired by the style of German Helles lager.
Dorking Brewery's Prototype Lager
50ml white rum (1 shot)
1 lime, cut into wedges
15ml sugar syrup (1 tablespoon)
- In a tall glass, muddle together (in other words, gently mash!) the lime wedges and mint leaves.
- Add in ice and pour over the sugar syrup and white rum.
- Top with Prototype Lager.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and a sprig of mint.
4. The Lagerita
Just the name makes our mouths water! Margaritas are one of the most famous cocktails out there, but adding lager to the mix takes things to a whole new level. Made with our Defaulters Lager, this is one of the most flavoursome cocktails you can get.
Dorking Brewery's Defaulters Lager
1 lime, juiced
50ml tequila (1 shot)
20ml triple sec
Salt for rim
- Rim a tall glass with salt.
- In a shaker, combine the lime juice, tequila, and triple sec.
- Add ice and shake vigorously until cold.
- Pour over fresh ice.
- Add the Defaulters Lager and gently stir to combine.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
5. The Five Claw Negroni
The Negroni is a refined cocktail that is bitter, punchy, and deep in flavour. However, adding a splash of beer adds a je ne sais quoi that transforms it into a whole new experience. We’ve opted for our tropical and bitter west coast IPA, Five Claw, which is made using six different hops.
Dorking Brewery's Five Claw beer
50ml gin (1 shot)
50ml sweet vermouth (1 shot)
50ml Campari (1 shot)
- In a shaker, combine the gin, sweet vermouth, and Campari.
- Add ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain the mixture into a glass filled with ice.
- Top with Five Claw beer and stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with a twist of orange peel.
Bonus: The Classic
We know what you’re thinking; ‘why can’t I just crack open a cold one without having to make it into a cocktail?!’.
Well, we hear you loud and clear, so this one’s for you.
Any of Dorking Brewery’s expertly crafted beers
- Buy your favourite Dorking Brewery beer.
- Crack it open.
There you have it, five delicious beer cocktail recipes perfect for sipping on a summer day, and one bonus recipe for the easy times. The best part? They're all made with Dorking Brewery's amazing beers, so you know they're going to be good.